Saturday, 31 March 2012

Selvedge Spring Fair

When I woke up this morning I felt very anxious, so much to do, the list growing and I just felt so very tired after quite a week at work. I had over committed on weekend plans, when what I really wanted to do was clean the flat from top to bottom (it's split level do that does make sense!) and sew, catching up with friends in the eve.

I'd forgotten that I had RSVP'd to go to the Selvedge Spring Fair, and feeling all panicky, I just didn't want to go. However, I hate letting folk down so I pulled on some clothes and headed out the door.

My oh my I'm pleased that I did! I saw some of my favourite people (both of the adult and child variety) and got so much inspiration! There were many wonderful designer makers there who were a pleasure to chat to and admire their beautiful work. I bought a few bits too!

What absolutely made my day was seeing the work of Becky Adams (www.beckyadams.co.uk) Now I met Becky a couple of years ago at a similar event in Spittalfields Market. At this time I wasn't very happy, I was working in a job I didn't enjoy, and I just did not feel entirely happy in my self. Talking to Becky that day and seeing her beautiful work, I got really inspired and started trying to do little bits in my spare time.

Now a couple of years on, thanks to other people believing in me and supporting me, I can confidently say I am a designer maker and I'm so proud of what I do! It's really funny how off chance meetings do shape your life. It was so lovely to chat to Becky, but bizarrely remembered me, and to have the opportunity to say that you inspire me and you have made me realise a dream. Or start to, this dream has a long way to go still!

I guess the moral of this story is to use your flipping diary (note to self) and remember what you've planned, and also take time to tell people if you love their work, if they inspire you or simple, that you think they're great.

I hope Becky doesn't mind, but I've put a few images of her work below, please do have a look at her website.

Now back to that to do list!

Love from Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment